The farmer's statue replacing Yusuf al-Azma's statue in 1966

Views: 38891


Image Source: Damascus Black & White page on Facebook

A statue of Yusuf al-Azma, Syria's Minister of War who died fighting the French in 1920, was erected in Bawabet al-Salhiya in 1950, on the 30th anniversary of his death at the famous Battle of Maysaloun. In 1966, the Baath Party took Azma's statue to Army Headquarters in Umayyad Square and replaced it with that of a farmer carrying a torch, representing the peasant's empowerment after the party coup of March 8, 1963.